background

Sunday, April 1, 2012

General Conference with Kids

I logged into my blog to post some new pictures and found this post I never published. oops, I guess I'm behind.
So like most moms I struggle with how to get my kids to take part in general conference and make it a positive experience for all of us. When I had toddlers running a muck the goal was to keep them distracted and out of the room so we adults could get something from the meeting. Then I tried putting out conference bowl food (like super bowl appetizers) to bribe them to be in the room quietly which became a major gorge session that lasted one session and wore off fast. So I decided it was time to change my approach. So we kept the snack table but each snack (except the healthy anytime fruits and vegs) got gospel words attached and could be eaten when they heard that word. They could also take one if they could find and name the speaker on the general authorities fold-out I posted by the laptop (we watch conference on the computer). The kids loved it and payed close attention to hear the words!
Weston stationed himself right by the speaker so he'd be the first to hear a word.
I also set up a coloring station, puzzles on the floor,
and a quiet craft table. The craft table was a great chance to do some Easter crafts. This was definitely a bigger pull for Emma than the boys. I made sure to have crafts that wouldn't require help so they wouldn't interrupt conference with questions. I just printed pictures of the finished products and gave quick instructions before conference started. I also tried to have a new craft for each session.
I think this new system/tradition worked well. The kids were (mostly) quiet and were in the room with us all four sessions. I don't know how much they actually got from the speakers but they enjoyed conference and look forward to it, they allowed us to listen, and they are more familiar with the general authorities now. But Emma did say she had her conference question answered and not even specifically from what the speaker was saying so I know she felt the spirit and it was a good experience for her.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: