background

Sunday, April 1, 2012

The (Not) Awesome Boy

So Weston's gotten a bad reputation on this blog. But this week he got two blues in a row (better than green on the stoplight behavior system) and had fun at the Kindergarten's Pirate Day. Way to go buddy!

That other boy though...
Ender pulled a pushpin off the preschool board and punched several holes in my exercise ball and as always his reason was "I just did it on purpose" and he shrugs and I sigh and give him a lengthy discussion while he stares blankly at me. I was into a good little routine with this ball and my workout video, now my motivation's deflated and I'm feeling lazy again.

Friday morning I came back from the bus stop tired so I laid on the floor in my room and snuggled Andrew a moment when I started to drift off. I woke back up to the sound of scissors. I bolted up worried Andrew was cutting the sheet I was laying with. On the floor was a small pile of hair, my hair. Aw!  I don't know if he was mad that I wasn't getting him the cereal he demanded or just curious, he's really hard to understand. Emma in her rare moments of naughtiness might over-react in a fit of rage then run to her room crying and screaming. Weston will slyly do something out of curiosity then get wide eyes and run off giggling nervously when he's caught. But Andrew just sits there totally void of emotion or reason. No explanation, no regret, no tangible reason to be found. It's hard to be mad and fight with someone who doesn't seem to register consequences or emotion. Maybe he was just getting back at me for the years of bad haircuts I've given him. Then when I tried to talk to him about why this is a problem he just stared at the side of my hair he had cut trying to see what it looked like with wide, curious eyes. I don't think I'm getting through to him. I wasn't even that mad, shocked, a little diturbed, but pretty calm.  I did tell him this was not awesome and that seemed to affect him the most because he's all about being an awesome boy.

And now, I am missing some hair. It's actually not that obvious. I already had some layering around my face and luckily my hair was curly that day so it kinda blended in. And then with conference I've just had my hair up all weekend. Tomorrow I will wear it straight and survey the extent of the damage, but I'm wondering if this is the motivation I needed to try something new, finish what Andrew started and go for a short do. I have been getting bored of my hair and I've been seeing some cute short haircuts. But I like ponytails and easy long styles. Any thoughts? What would be a good look for me? I'm talking about something chin length, I know that the back of my head and long neck are not fit for something really short but maybe a layered bob.
Or if you have no advice for my hair what about my child, sleep with the scissors up high and the door locked?
 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud multiple times as I read this... What your little leprechaun did was definitely not awesome, but I say embrace it and go short! Even with my big head and rounder face, I've been loving my shorter 'do and the short time it takes to fix it. Your face is skinny and better for shorter hair - I think you'll look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little Andrew man...what a stinker! You're so good to take it in stride. I have no idea who this person is but I think this is really cute hair and it would look awesome on you! http://trendyshorthaircuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/short-wavy-hairstyle-2012-a.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why they are not accountable until age 8

    ReplyDelete