background

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Bellflower

Jamie's uncle, Bryan died in a car accident a couple of days before the wedding and we learned the funeral service would be in Cedar City Monday so Jamie stayed in Vegas with his family to drive up for the viewing and service while the kids and I traveled with my family to Bellflower to visit my grandma. Jamie caught a ride with my cousin Trevor a few days later to meet us for a reunion in San Diego.

Few places are as sentimental and enjoyable as grandma's. The oranges and kumquats, the cool but sunny California weather, movies and treats at Diane's, the swimming, the al fresco dinners with family, these are the things that say family and vacation to me. 

For my kids, the "pirate park" is a must but this is a new addition, fun, but not part of my childhood.

My grandma could no longer be on this big property on her own even with the help from friends, family and caretakers so it was time to sell the house and move her to some place safer, with 24-hr care. She was very fortunate to have a family in the ward that wanted to buy the home before it even had to be listed. It was sad to say goodbye to this home that my mother grew up in and I have known all my life but glad to be able to visit my grandma and know she will be safe with constant care. She made the decision herself and was willing to part with so many worldly possessions, passing them on to family. As her body grows weak her mind stays sharp and her patience and kindness seems to get stronger. She is an amazing woman and I have gained so much from her example.
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment