background

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Surgery

I've been putting off blog catch-up for months because the next event on the timeline for our lives is one I wasn't sure I wanted to discuss on the blog. I didn't tell a lot of people when it happened and I wasn't sure I wanted to post it on the blog but it was something for the journaling part of my blogging purposes and I decided that the few people who actually read it already know about this. So I thought I'd document it and then quickly follow-up with some happy posts with cute pics of my kids again.
For months I'd been having pelvic pains and other excessive woman issues that were driving me nuts. I had seen a doctor who found a uterine fibroid in an ultrasound that would cause some of the symptoms I described but not to the degree that I was experiencing. We tried treatment and it made things worse. My doctor suspected I had endometriosis and suggested a laparoscopic exploratory surgery. Because unfortunately the only way to see that stuff is to get in there and take a look. She did not find endometriosis but she did find adhesions that were pulling my intestines out of place (never have had a surgery before so where did those come from?). My appendix had been moved well out of place so she put that back in position. And she found another fibroid. We had hopes that removing the adhesions would improve things, but I continued to have pains and discomfort from the fibroids. We did our research, fasted and prayed and finally decided to have a hysterectomy. I'm way too young and too few children for this sort of business and it was not an easy choice to make so I only told family and a few close friends. I figured the only opinions that mattered were the Lord's, my husband's and my parents'.
My sister flew in to take the kids up to my brother in Dallas so the cousins could play while I went to the hospital (June 21). I found a highly recommended and skilled surgeon that does the Da Vinci method (robotic laparoscopic hysterectomy- I only have four tiny scars). Things went well and I was home 24-hrs later. Brooke and the kids stayed in Dallas a couple days then Brooke brought Dave and Emma back here and my boys stayed the rest of the week with Deborah and Jesse, my heroes. Two weeks later we headed up to Utah for vacation. Six weeks post-op, the estimated recovery time, I was called as Relief Society president. The Lord promptly answered my question of what he wanted me to do now if he didn't want me having babies anymore, besides the obvious answer of caring for the ones I already have. I know He is watching over me and has a plan and a work for me even if it's not always what I would have expected but blessed all the same.

Like my bracelet collection?


I had to smile to make up for my lunch lady hat, poofy vest, and unmake-uped face

Emma's card to me. I felt I needed to explain to her why she won't be getting a sister. I guess this was her interpretation of it.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. How did I miss that you were called as RS president?! Wow, you are amazing! Thanks for sharing this and for your example! And Emma's card is awesome..haha! LOVE all of your posts and can't wait to see you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete