background

Monday, January 16, 2012

Joy in the Journey

When we moved to Georgia we were petrified by the idea of driving for days in the car with our three young children. And yes, when you have a little baby you have to stop to nurse, change diapers and fearing they may scream for hours on end adds a challenge. But what we discovered is what an adventure this can be, an opportunity to see many different parts of the country with the varying landscapes and interesting towns you pass through. My kids know their US geography better than I ever did from tracking our travels across the map. And the stretch from Georgia to Texas was particularly beautiful. Well now we're in central Texas so we've dropped that stretch but we tried out a new route this time and quite enjoyed our new adventures. We drove from Austin to El Paseo to Tuscon and up to Vegas. It took two days with a stop in Tucson, 22 hours in all. There was little traffic, interesting views, varying and beautiful landscapes, cool cities and familiar sites. My kids are excellent travelers and I don't miss the diaper changes one bit. I should note that Jamie chooses to drive the entire way (because he says it's better than my job) so perhaps he's not as fond of our adventures. Pretty nice for me though, I read, nap, snack, ooh and ahh at the views and take pictures; not a bad deal. I have a lot of pictures but I wanted to share the variety and beauty that interstate travel awards. And sorry these are taken in the car while driving so the quality is less than ideal but you get the idea.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment