background

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Moving to Austin

This was my view for hours and hours, miles of yellow grass, big open blue sky and that big yellow truck Jamie was driving in front of me. Behind me, my dad driving Jamie's car. 3 vehicles, 6 people, 24 hours, 3 days. Now that we're here safely I'll admit, I was nervous. I haven't driven more than 5 hours myself and I had to drive 24 alone with three kids in the car. But for someone who never drinks caffeine, a Pepsi can be a mighty powerful thing. A buzzed brain and a full bladder will keep you awake til that next rest stop.

The first night we stayed at a nice Marriot hotel in Albuquerque. The second night we got these beauties, fabulous travel blankets on the Motel 6 beds in Carlsbad.

Carlsbad
Emma sends her love

I think we picked the perfect day to go to the Carlsbad Caverns. It was the middle of the week after spring break so hardly anyone was there and we had the place to ourselves. And everything was blooming and beautiful. Well outside, not in the cave of course.

My dad got these great audio tour sticks for everyone. It kept the kids from yelling through the cave as they listened and learned cool stuff.

I usually try to have people in my pictures, even landscape shots but in the caves you have to have a flash to get faces and the background goes dark or you turn off the flash and get cool cave shots but dark faces. I gotta learn more about this camera I guess. But here we are in the darkness...

and here's the awesome cave stuff. This one's the whale's mouth.

They've paved paths and set up theatrical lighting to share the wonders down under. We were impressed! Even the kids thought it was awesome and Weston wants to decorate his room like a cave now and asked when we can go back.

This isn't a great picture but that "chandelier" hanging down the middle was one of my favorites. It looked much larger and spectacular in person.

Rock of Ages

Chinese Theater

The Apparitions

And here we are. See the van way back there? I'm such a nerd, I debated whether or not to stop for this. Drove past and then pulled off at last second, grabbed Weston from the car whining and ran back to the sign ( I had to hurry back to catch up with Jamie who kept driving). My dad behind me got the hint and pulled off in front of the sign and had his camera ready before we even got there. Was it worth it? I dunno but had to post it after that.

Checking out the mysterious and exciting Penske truck.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. It was totally worth it :) Cool cavern pictures, I'll have to go check them out someday! I'm glad you guys got to Texas safely and I hope everything is well and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you guys are moving again! I hope you love Texas! So glad you were in Georgia for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! You're here! We can't wait to come hang out with you at the biggest capitol building in our country. Welcome to Texas.

    The sign picture was totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete