background

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Halloween

Last week we had a Halloween potluck for playgroup. I was thinking it was probably too hot for Andrew to wear his padded fleece frog costume and was deciding what we wanted to do about the costume. Meanwhile Andrew comes down telling me he needs a flag. Then he pulled Weston's Jack-o-lantern paper off the window and went outside. He came back with a stick and told me to put the paper on it and headed back upstairs. He comes back down in his Superman cape and declares "I'm Captain Moroni." Then he shows me the rip on his cape and says "Captain Moroni ripped his cape" (the cape was ripped already). I helped him make a Trio sword (less dangerous and more authentic than the light saber) and we headed off to the potluck. Okay, so despite his squirms and squeals during FHE, maybe something's getting through. Or maybe it's just primary. Or actually I think it's his new obsession with the Hero books grandma got him last year.
Weston jumped on the creative costume ship and came down with this hula skirt on his head. He woulda made a cute girl.

Saturday we had a carnival and trunk-or-treat at the church. See the black pants and red shorts to the left? Jamie actually dressed up. We had a Goofy hat from one of Mama Steeds Disney adventures so I got him to dress up as Goofy. I was a witch, but that's nothing new (but not the witch here with the candy basket).
Cutest costumes of the night were the quintuplet family that have seven kids so they were Snow White, Prince Charming and the seven dwarfs. So cute!

Some people really go all out for these trunk-or-treats. This family had a projector with monster eyes in their car and he was dressed as a mad scientist passing out glow stick necklaces. First time I had to wait in line to get to a trunk.

After all the candy Sat., I was ready to boycott trick-or-treating Mon. so I told the kids we were going to have a Halloween party instead. Emma's big on decorations so she drew and posted pictures. I attempted candy corn pizza (inner circle of cheddar outer circle mozz) but it overcooked and looked very un-candy-cornish. And I made a Jello brain but forgot to mix in the pineapple before it solidified so it was really weird tasting and even the kids didn't like eating it.
The apple monsters turned out cute thanks to Emma.

I had advertised we would make candy apples and carve pumpkins for our "party" but I couldn't get everything together fast enough and it was a school night so they did a little trick-or-treating while I set up the apple stuff, drank spiced cider, played pin the parts on the jack-o-lantern and off to bed. I told them we'd eat the caramel apples the next night because seriously do you think you didn't get enough sugar. And I ended up just making them myself while Jamie put the kids to bed.
I overheard Emma's conversation with Nana last week, "My problem with Halloween is the violence. It's fun, but it's inappropriate." Jamie grinned and told me she was definitely my daughter. He's always teasing us Cannon girls and our appropriateness.

No comments:

Post a Comment